Re: Topband: analyzer filters

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: analyzer filters
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:39:04 +1300
Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
>> The typical bandpass or high pass filter will not be usable
>> with an Antenna Analyzer. They act like transmission lines
>> of various long lengths, modest to high loss, and with surge
>> impedances different than 50 ohms near the cutoff
>> frequencies.
>>

> True for most analyzers, however, the AIM-4170 allows you to
> calibrate out any transmission line or filter in front of the unit.

With my N2PK VNA I have made a switchable high pass filter that goes in
series with the detector, not the measuring arm.  I can then choose to
calibrate and use the instrument with or without the filter in.  This is
very useful when doing antenna measurements with MWBC stations in the
vicinity.

73, Greg, ZL3IX