Topband: Coax shield and beverages crossing intersects

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Coax shield and beverages crossing intersects
From: "Uwe Koenneker, DL8OBF" <dl8obf@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:11:39 +0100
All,

here comes a question not directly connected with the coax shields ... but
showing somehow a similar pattern.

My beverage antennas are set up parallel to existing fences. These fences
have openings/doors here and there, e.g. to get a tractor or some cattle
through.

I see three possibilities to cross these "gaps/ openings":
1.) I get poles on both sides of the fence (e.g. 4m) and cross permanently
in that height. That way I would lift the height of my beverage to 4m for a
short section, with the average height being 1.5m.
2.) I have some kind of door (similar to the electric fence isolators) and
open and close "on demand".
3.) I bury some coax, maybe contained within some additional tubes or
channels. That way I would have a regular beverage, intermitted by short
lengths of coax of around 5m.

My preference would be for the 3rd option, as this is the least noticeable
approach and is still good for permanent installation.

Has somebody made experience with this approach ?  (Either in practice or
simulation)  Will the short "low Impedance, high C" sections of coax have
any influence on the performance of the beverage ?

And how to handle the coax shield ?  (Maybe leave it open and have the Coax
contained in some additional tubing to get the impedance up)

Of course I could start my own simulations, but I decided to ask in this
forum before spending massive effort :-).

Happy New Year to everybody!

Thanks and vy 73
              Uwe, DL8OBF

HAM-Radio, when all else fails: www.intel.de/IEARS