Re: Topband: RF Ground or Wire to RF Ground?

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RF Ground or Wire to RF Ground?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:49:07 -0800
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:04:05 -0800 (PST), oliver steiner wrote:

>I would like to better understand how ground is
>distinguished from wire to ground.

A connection to the earth is immaterial to the operation of radio
equipment. It IS important for ANY power system, but ONLY as a
disharge path for lightning and other big voltage spikes that may
come in on the power line. People who tell you to ground radio
equipment for any other reason don't know what they are talking
about. Yes, it's in all the equipment manuals. And its wrong.

Go to your local airport and observe the aircraft taking off from
the runway. There's a LOT of radio equipment and other sophisticated
electronics on it, and it all works fine. Call me collect when you
see one trailing a ground wire.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC