Re: Topband: Need advice

To: Juhan Põldvere <juhan@chem.ut.ee>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need advice
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 09:44:18 -0500
On 6th January Juhan wrote...

> It probably will, but neither you nor anybody else will ever
> know. If you put the new wire up and find it much worse than
> 8 yrs ago, it does not mean a thing. If you then pull all
> the old wire out and the beverage excels next night, it does
> not mean a thing. If you put the new wire up and it works
> great, and if you still pick up all of the old wire and the
> ant sounds like dummy load the night after, it still does
> not mean a thing.

*****************************

One thing that I've always found contradictory in such discussions is the
fact that it seems to be "...tribal knowledge" amongst Beverage aficianados
that the WORSE the ground beneath it, the BETTER the performance of the
antenna...

...And yet, Vic Misek in his book on Beverage antennas specifically espouses
the use of a second parallel-running wire immediately below the antenna, per
se, and laid atop the ground.

What purpose would the inclusion of such a ground wire have, in fact, if not
to minimize the effect upon antenna performance by "...real ground"...?

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ