Topband: new to 160 with an Inverted L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: new to 160 with an Inverted L
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:54:57 -0500
I am new to the "topband" as of last weekend (just before the contest!). I put up an inverted L that is about 50 feet up and now have about 8 burried radials that are about 125 feet. I am using #12 coated stranded wire for everything and an 8 foot ground rod at the base.

One of the radials I hooked onto the ground wire on a utility pole at the end of my lot. I wonder if this is a good idea or not? I could also attach another radial to a chain-linked fence, but I would have to extend the radial beyond 125 (maybe to 150 to 175 feet). Does that matter?

I also have been reading that I should use a terminating resistor to protect my front end. Would a balun do the same thing? Do I need a balun too?

All appears to work fine, pretty low SWR (1.2 at the center, 3:1 or so on the ends), and I have worked 27 countries and 40 states so far. The contest helped me on the numbers.

So far, I have had the best of fun learning; I bought the ON4UN book and am reading about receiving antennas on the internet. I hate I have went 27 years without trying the "topband" already!!

Thanks,
Mark KA4ICK