Topband: DSP and Noise Blankers

To: <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DSP and Noise Blankers
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:40:10 -0500
> This brings me to a question about the FT1000 MP MK V
> Field that I am using:
>
> Last season I found that using the DSP noise reduction and
> the 250Hz crystal
> filter from Yaesu gave best signal to noise.
> (or using the narrowest setting of the DSP filter with the
> 250 hz crystal
> filter in the IF.)The  500Hz 455KC mechanical filter
> Collins that I also
> installed is hardly used on 160m.

One thing to remember is the more stages and the narrower
the filters that noise and signals pass through, the more
difficult it is to separate rough or sharp noise from
desired signals. Viewed through a narrow filter they all
start to look the same.

I don't like the Collins mechanical filters when picking
signals from noise. I prefer conventional crystal filters at
~500Hz BW. I haven't looked to see why that is, I just buy
different filters. Inrad has some good filters.

73 Tom