Re: Topband: Best Height Above Ground for a Beverage RX Antenna

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Height Above Ground for a Beverage RX Antenna
From: w8av@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:45:10 -0500
Larry, et al:

  To add to you observations, which I also sent in a separate e-mail to K3LR,
I have found that a height of 6-7 feet above ground for my beverages seems to
be the best height.  I originally installed two wire beverages at about 8-9
feet above ground and they worked pretty well.  However, my E/W beverage runs
along a tree line and a storm took out a couple trees along the beverage line
lasat year.  I had to reduce the height of this beverage to about 6' or so AGL
(above ground level) as a quick fix before the 2005 CQWW DX CW contest.  At
this lower height this 600' beverage works better than all the others and I
have left it at this height.  Hence the others are being lowered to this
optimum height.

My 550' NE/SW beverage crosses a small ravine and is about 15-20 feet AGL over
this ravine for about 50-60 feet of its total length.  Although it hears OK, it
is a far poorer performer than the other beverages that maintain roughly the
same height AGL over their entire lengths.

73.................de Goose, W8AV