Topband: Teflon in Ferrite binocular cores

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Teflon in Ferrite binocular cores
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:56:43 -0800 (PST)
The ferrite binocular cores are conductive and can have sharp edges as I
learned the hard way. It is easy to scratch the enamel off wire and cause a
short. What I do instead of using tubing is I coat the inside of the core with
a thin layer of clear finger nail polish called "Hard as Nails" and let it dry
before I put the windings in.  Glyptal varnish might work too but it is a bit
thicker.