Re: Topband: Norton preamp

To: Ford Peterson <ford@cmgate.com>, 'amdx' <amdx@knology.net>,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Norton preamp
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:09:24 -0800 (PST)
--- Ford Peterson <ford@cmgate.com> wrote:

> I can absolutely assert that anything looking like a 'circuit' in the signal
> path of 10 MegaWatts of RF will absolutely vaporize in a spectacular blue
> flame instantly.

Ford,

The intercept points are fictitious.  They are calculated by taking a
measurement in the linear region of the device under test.  The measurement for
third-order intercept (TOI) is made with two tones at a reasonable level.  The
resulting inter-mod products are measured on a spectrum analyzer and the
intercept point is calculated.

There are many discussions of TOI on the web.  Just google "third order
intercept" or "second order intercept".

Mike W8GT

"When you're a Ham, you're a Ham all the way"
 - Apologies to Steven Sondhiem