Re: Topband: arizona report

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: arizona report
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:47:50 -0800
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:33:48 -0800, Chortek, Robert L wrote:

>Has anyone else living on a suburban lot in California had good
>conditions? Things have not been good here.

I'm near Santa Cruz on 8.5 acres with vertical, a dipole, and
Beverages (one aimed at EU), and the only signal I've EVER heard
from EU is DL2PY. He was there again last night around 9 pm PST, and
some western US stations were calling. I worked him a month or so
ago, the other time I heard him.  I also heard strong signals from
VY2, KP2, KP4, and PJ2 last night, all strong enough to work.

I like to compare DX propagation on 160 to the tiny beams of light
peeking through a very dark and stormy sky, moving as the clouds
move across the sky. Each part of the earth may be illuminated by
propagation for only 10-20 minutes, and it can be VERY spotty.

73,

Jim K9YC