Re: Topband: Key Clicks

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Key Clicks
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:02:18 -0800
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:06:50 -0800, Earl W Cunningham wrote:

>I recently posted on this e-mail reflector an accusation that a big gun
>AZ ham's key clicks had returned.

One of the obligations that goes with being "a big gun" is keeping the
barrel clean. I operated the first night of ARRL 160 with a new Beverage
setup (finished that morning) that somehow made my signal unstable and
wide (I won't bore the group with details, but it involved too much preamp
gain and mods to the transceiver to get a separate antenna input).

Several guys told me about it, and I fixed it quickly. I appreciated the
fact that they did -- indeed, I thank them for it. On the other hand, I
also make sure that when I'm telling someone else they have a problem,
that it isn't my receiver that isn't as good as it should be, or that I'm
doing something dumb (like leaving the noise blanker on or running with
too much input gain).

73,

Jim K9YC