Re: Topband: Re Small lot antenna idea

To: Top Band group <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re Small lot antenna idea
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:10:06 +0000 (GMT)

> I have been using a screwdriver antenna on the back of my
> truck for 80 meters and up and it has worked OK. I have about
> 150' of coax going out there. That works because the antenna is
> on my truck, not the house or in the yard. However, it isnt
> going to work on 160 because my truck isnt enough of a
> counterpoise.

It will, just run piece of wire from the top of the coil to short mast on the
front bumper (insulated).
You should be able to tune the antenna on 160. I did that with my 80m Hustler
mast and coil, by sliding the end of wire up and down (changing capacitance to
car body) I was able to tune it within the band about 50 kHz. Ugly but works :-)

73 GL  Yuri, K3BU