Topband: ARRL DX: thoughts of a newbye

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ARRL DX: thoughts of a newbye
From: "Bob I.2.WIJ" <i2wij@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:06:03 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,
I am new subscriber to the list even if I follow this
list since quite a few months.
In the past ARRL DX CW I made 9 qso on 160!
Very interesting and surprisingly for me, since I
just don't have an antenna for 160!
I use the windom which is sized up to 80M
through the radio internal tuner, and I can
output 100W into the coax. I don't know how many
will then really be radiated but maybe enough.
I also receive through that same antenna,
and I'm living in Milan, so quite a noisy environment.
In the past CQWW160 I only worked VY2ZM on PEI,
across the Atlantic Ocean (let me say ..too easy!)
so the 9 qsos are quite an event for me.
I'm writing this message since there is something
strange to me.
The stations are the following:
VY2PA,K1KI,KT1V,VY2TT,K5ZD,
WJ9B,KC1XX,K1TO and VE2TZT.
I also heard K1XM but really in the noise
and I never was so confident to be able to listen
if he could really come back to me,
so I decided not to call him.
BUT I never heard the other big guns on top band!
(let say K3LR and W3LPL which would even also have
been 2 new states!)

So now the question is: why?
Maybe the answer is easy: I really need to improve my
reception capability.

But I start a thought and ended up with the fact
that their signal surely was down respect to the
others I heard.

So I thought one reason could be the distance of
these stations from the ocean, since the overall
distance from my qth shouldn't be so significant, and
probably within a few percent.
Then with the help of Google Earth I made this table:

 Distance from their qth to first ocean boundary
 for the path to my qth (~6800 Km - ~4200 miles)
CALL        Km        Miles
K5ZD        63          40
KC1XX      110          68
K1KI       187         115
KT1V        37          23
K1TO       190         116
WJ9B       125          78
----------------------------
W3LPL      620         385
K3LR      1390         865

(I didn't check the two PEI's and the VE2.)

>From that table there is a big difference!

So, please, now I need to know, from you
Top Band gurus:

Am I wrong? and why?
Am I right? and why?
Doesn't it really matter? and why?