Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines
From: "Bill Gaines AD8P" <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:49:24 -0500
Before I invest in the materials and the physical effort to install I thought I
would pose this question to the reflector. Has anyone ever installed a beverage
below the HV power lines that feed neighborhoods? Behind my house runs the
power lines for Main Street USA. I am guessing them to be about 40' high. The
telephone feedlines are mounted just below the power lines. On the ground
running in the same direction is a farm fence made of steel wire in 4" squares.
I am sure you have all seen them before. What if I mounted a beverage maybe
2,3,4,5 (you fill in a number) feet above the fence but still several feet
below the power lines. Do you think it would hear better than my vertical? How
about just running a beverage right beside the fence but still under the power
lines? Should I terminate it or leave it unterminated? Has anyone done this
before and what were your results?

Bill AD8P