Topband: Capture area

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Capture area
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:24:37 -0500
> As one reduces the Antenna Capture Area capabilities, say
> by an order
> of magnitude for each step, it follows the signal levels
> ought also
> reduce a similar order of magnitude

"Capture area" or "effective aperture", despite common myth,
is not determined by physical size. It is also not important
to receiving.

Capture area is determined by gain and frequency. Gain
includes efficiency and directivity, but not size.

If I have a 50 foot vertical with 50% efficiency and zero dB
gain, it has more "capture area" than a typical Beverage
1000 feet lone, or even a pair of Beverages spaced 350 feet
that are 1000 feet long. A large Rhombic often has less
capture area than a stack of 4 element Yagi's because it
often has less gain.

The only thing that is important for receiving is the
antenna directivity and the direction and level of noise,
once we have enough signal to make external noise limit the
receiver.

Size doesn't matter.

73 Tom