Re: Topband: Yaesu FT857D & Separate Rcv Ant

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Yaesu FT857D & Separate Rcv Ant
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:49:36 -0800
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:16:11 -0600 (GMT-06:00), Charles Otnott wrote:

>I have received a reply from Yeasu Tech Support
>regarding a separate rcv antenna. Here is Yaesu's
>reply for the benefit of those who own an FT857D:

Charles,

Rigs like the FT857 are designed for VERY casual use, like something
to have in the car and work all bands, or as a first all band rig.
They are poor choices for serious hamming (like pulling DX signals
out of the noise a few kHz down from pileups of strong signals). For
the same dollars, you can buy a high quality vintage radio with
filters, like a TS850 or and Omni V or VI and be WAY ahead of the
game on HF. The TS850 needs a simple mod for rcv antennna; the
Omni's come with it. Radios in this classs have a LOT better
receivers.

If you have any hams as closeby neighbors, you'll make them a lot
happier too -- those low cost rigs have lots of phase noise, both on
transmit and receive.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC