Re: Topband: Noise problems, please your help is needed

To: er_araujo@yahoo.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise problems, please your help is needed
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:23:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2007 4:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
er_araujo@yahoo.com writes:

1 - Why  the loops are receiving more noise than
distant signals? Could it be a  matter of
polarization?2 - could it be possible I need to use
horizontal  polarization with the loop? could it be
done simple rotating it 90  degrees?
3 - If I suffer the same symptom from the pennant,
Could it be  possible to change it to horizontal
polarization? how?
4 â Any other  idea is welcome

Many thanks in advance dear fellows, and as  suggested
by many, I didn't give up.   LU2DKT...Edy.-

Edy -- you say your rooftop is 150 ft high?  Does that mean you are in  an
apartment building?   If so this could be a clue to the  problem..   The
magnetic loop has a pattern without any vertical  directivity - like a donut on
it's
side. It will receive everything from 0  degrees straight out onto the horizon
right up to 90 degrees straight  up. The null from a magnetic loop is very
sharp in the direction of the  plane so if you have a very noisy powerline
directly in front of your building  you aim the side of the loop to it and will
be
reduced considerable.  BUT  in your case the noise maybe coming from all over
-- includings straight down  through the building.  I have always noted that
the WORST noise situation  is ALWAYS in hotels, apartments and office buildings
because there is simply too  much noise from too many different places.

I am afraid that you may have the same issue with the Pennant IF this is  the
issue with noise from all over the place.  It may be a little bit  better
since the Pennant has a lot more vertical plane directivity but if a  great
deal
of your noise is coming from below the antenna that could be the same
problem...