Topband: Omni VII performance

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Omni VII performance
From: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:00:33 +0200
Hello all,

thank You very much to all for Your comments. Specially I am glad to get
response from Mike and Tom. I am respecting these comments and
explanation
as its very helpfull to me in understanding the results and rig
comparisons.

Regarding Bob's last comments to the Ip3 > well I know the principles
and understand that less sensitivity can increase finally Ip3 numbers.
Its not the case as Omni VII has similar MDS refer to K2.

What surprised me in the results of the Omni VII was that most of the
receiver performance parameters of the Omni VII was worse or similar
only to the K2 which is definitely in different price category. On the
other hands TT sales made me sure that Omni VII is far ahead from radios
in the same pricing.

MDS        > -126dBm(OmniVII) / -130dBm(K2)
BDR(5kHz)  > 134dB(Omni VII) / 135(K2)
I3IMD(5kHz)> 84dB(OmniVII) / 91(K2)
Ip3(5kHz)  > +6.5dBm(OmniVII) / +21dBm(K2)

Well I thought about the swapping all of my current rigs for Omni VII to
get fantastic Ethernet connectivity as it will alowing me to be QRV
everywhere I am. Unfortunatelly its not acceptable to change the
receiver performance for some of remote control connection comfort only.

As I read the short intermod shootout on 40m in Europe review made by
DJ6ZM > the blanketing S4-S7 of noise across the band untill You will
switch in -12dB att. or using some external preselector to be able to
work on the band with radio for $3.5k sounds not good for me.

Even as I found that radio has not Key jack on the rear panel, paddle is
not available in remote operation now (waiting for 610 option), display
was commented by some of new owner as "milky", usage of NR make
distorion of audio...there are mni of negatives to beat them by Ethernet
connectivity positive point for that price.

Well before making the final decission I will have to wait untill some
real and serious tests in crowded CW 40m band as "BIG" contest is where
the rubber meets the road (N4PY)...

best regards,

Petr, OK1RP
--