Re: Topband: A Big Mess!

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Charles Bibb" <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: A Big Mess!
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:45:03 -0400
On 16th August, Charles wrote...

"...I would strongly recommend NOT using silica gel in any outdoor
'sealed' enclosures. I think maybe
I'll try Ed's grains of rice approach to moisture removal. Maybe he
 can give us an update on how it
worked out for him."

*************************

Hi Charles, et al...

Well, I'm VERY pleased to report to you all that the rice idea worked out
just fine --- in fact, it probably exceeded my expectations.

This Spring, when I rolled-up the radials & retrieved the enclosures housing
my air variables beneath the "L" elements (three in total), I simply popped
the lids off of the "Folger's"-brand plastic coffee containers, & tipped the
rice out onto the ground for the birds to eat (talk about being
"...environmentally friendly"!).

There WAS a bit of clumping here & there, but for the most part the grains
were pretty much separated...

The capacitors themselves appeared to be A-OK, albeit for a hint of that
white oxident you mentioned, on the solder connections. I think what I'll do
this coming season --- about a week, or so, before setting the Folger's
containers out again --- is lightly spray the capacitors & all of the solder
joints with a bit of WD-40. I don't know how long that stuff lasts, but it's
supposed to be a moisture repellant...hopefully it'll leave a bit of residue
behind to help ward off any future such oxidation.

Oh yes, one final note of caution: in the middle of this past winter, while
looking out my front window to the base of the western "L", I noticed that
the black plastic lid of the Folger's container was off. Upon closer
examination, it was obvious that some small hungry critter (with exceptional
olfactory senses!) had detected the presence of food therein, removed the
lid, and ate most of the rice!

I replaced it post haste, and re-attached the lid, with no further incident.

Do try the rice trick, Charles --- homemakers have been mixing the stuff
with granulated salt right in the shakers to absorb moisture, for years. If
it was good enough for grandma, it's good enough for me (and the price &
availabilty of the stuff is certainly right, too!).

Another eco-friendly alternative --- again, right out of grandma's bag of
tricks --- might be to leave a slice of white bread inside the enclosure:
folks used to slip a slice in with any stored bag of brown sugar in these
parts, to keep the stuff from hardening due to moisture absorption. The only
potential problem with bread, however (being stored outdoors & all) might be
mold.

I guess I'll stick to my rice...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ