Topband: RX Antenna for DXpedition

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RX Antenna for DXpedition
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:56 -0400
Dear Group Members,

I asked the question whether one needs a separate RX
antenna on a remote, uninhabited tropical island (VK9W).
In esponse, I have received an incredible wealth of
information, both on the central question and on many
related topics. It is nice to be part of a community with
such depth of knowledge and experience.

The advice received fell into two categories, almost
evenly divided:

a) You donât need an RX antenna! There is no man-made
noise. Most RX antennas carried by expeditions never get
unpacked.

b) You must have an RX antenna! The successful expeditions
can attribute their low band results to good RX antennas.

I am sure both are right. My interpretation is this:
Take RX antennas, but you may not need them.

I would like to thank everybody for their input. I hope
that I will be able to report back to the group upon our
return and draw some useful conclusions then.

73,

George
AA7JV