Topband: Thanks for your Antenna Advice Plus K9AY Questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Thanks for your Antenna Advice Plus K9AY Questions
From: "Scott WA9WFA" <wa9wfa@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:03:59 -0500
My thanks to all who replied to my dipole, vertical, preamp, and K9AY
questions.  Several fellows emailed me privately with advice and help and
several emailed the list.  Thank you very much!!   Just tonight I was
listening on 160, heard a pile up on some DX station but never heard the DX
station among the atmospheric noise and small amount (S-1 or S-2) of
scrambled eggs from the power line.  I was wondering what it would sound
like to listen to a dx signal down in the weeds, and hear it.

On the preamp, I wonder what I was thinking.  I should have known that the
amp is just going to amplify the whole signal, noise and all, resulting in
just a louder but same signal to noise ratio.   Good point, it's the signal
to noise ratio that I need to be concerned about, not the S-meter.  If I
can't pull the signal out of the noise at S-3 with a given sig/noise ratio,
I sure won't be able to hear it any better at S-5 with the same sig/noise
ratio..  No Jay wasn't telling me that I would get an improved signal to
noise ratio, I misread his websites comments about it.

So my whole goal then with a magnetic loop or K9AY loop is to yield a lower
noise level (atmospherics, power line, tv and cable crap) right at the
antenna,  and only then letting a preamp amplify that improved signal to
noise ratio.

FB on the Gary's comments about the hill application of the K9AY loop.
Sounds like it should work then.  I just need to run this antenna by my wife
and see what she thinks about it.   What am I saying... I already know what
she'll think about it.  Lets see if I can still get the ok to do it.

Tnx for the pointing out that my 160 meter inverted vee has little
directivity due to the low antenna height.  At least I don't have to think
about moving the leg around since it won't do much of anything for
directivity.

I'm going to keep browing the archives and other internet resources and
learn more about the K9AY antenna.

Thanks guys.  73, Scott WA9WFA