Topband: (Elecraft) Random thoughts from a K3 field tester

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: (Elecraft) Random thoughts from a K3 field tester
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:52:03 +1000
Hi All,

I have been reading the reports on the K3 noise blanking
abilities.Unfortunately there is no audible comparison between the
jamming signals on 160 meters and the signals both on 40 and 80
meters.They appear to be more a rapid pulse signal where the 160 meter
is a continuous noise with an overriding pulsing which I originally
described as sounding much like an idling diesel engine.
The "Dragon" interference really needs to be examined closer to the
source on all three bands to determine the nature of the signal and also
perhaps a K3 can also be tested the same way to see how the blanking
system really works if at all on these signals.
I find I can handle the 40 meter pulses fairly well with my existing
equipment,most of which is fairly old.However nothing I have has any
effect on the 160 meter jamming signal which can reach S7 to S9 at my
location at times.
I would be interested in any follow up of this problem and actual field
tests on 160 meters with the K3.Not that I will be ever able to afford
to buy one..

Good Dxing......Bob VK3ZL...