Re: Topband: How to use this tower?

To: grandjean.pascal@laposte.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How to use this tower?
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:58:49 +0200
Pascal Grandjean - F5LEN wrote:

> What could be the most simple and efficient tx antenna I can setup here
> to begin on 160m? At this time, I'm thinking of half slopers.

I'd avoid half slopers and any other kind of slopers.

For short and medium distance work you couldn't do better
than a simple properly fed Inverted-V dipole. Make the top
angle as large as possible, 120 degrees or more, and use
a proper balun. That's simple and extremely efficient.

For long distance work you couldn't do better that using
the tower itself as a vertical element. The lack of guying
wires simplifies things greatly, and it would be good to
remove any conductor that may interfere with vertical
operation.

Of course, you'd need a good number of radials, and 32
seems to be a good number to start with. Do not rely
on the existing grounding - it's for protection only
and would be useless at RF.

Don't worry about height not being exact quarterlength.

Feeding the tower may require some works,
but it can certainly be done using MFJ or similar analyzer.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA