Topband: someone has an autotuner

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: someone has an autotuner
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:58:32 -0500
I wouldn't normally say something about this but someone has
a bad habit that occurs frequently lately.
Someone who likes to work DX on 160 has an autotuner. I
don't know if this tuner is in a rig or an external tuner,
or even if it is an autotune amplifier with relays.

When a spot comes up for DX they must go to that frequency
and push the autotuner button. While their tuner cycles
through they are jamming +-5kHz with pops and clicks and
clacks that are over S9 while the tuner relay contacts arc
and spark looking for a match. This even causes one way
propagation!

This is just a reminder that an autotuner with relays will
arc and spark in the relays and make a wide noise as the
tuner is hunting for a match. It would be better to move a
good distance away from DX or any QSO's before pushing that
button that starts the tuner tuning, or buy a regular manual
tuner or amplifier and log the settings so he doesn't need
to tune on top of DX several times a day.

Maybe tuner manufacturers and autotune amplifier
manufacturers need to put this in the manuals, or it should
be a license exam question??

73 Tom