Topband: Phased Vertical Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Phased Vertical Question
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 1:54:22 -0500
I am attempting to put up and make work a couple of phased verticals before
this weekend.  Couldn't find my ON4UN book and asked a friend on the phone to
read something that I remembered that concerned me. It says something like "to
preserve symetry have the lines to the verticals connected at the center of the
array, and even gives an example in the case of an end fire array spaced 1/2
wavelength not to use 90 and 270 degree lines but 3/4 and 5/4 wavelength lines
instead.

I was going to bring the 700 feet of hardline (3/4 wavelengths to each vertical
to the house instead and never dreamed that could cause a problem.   Can
someone explain approximately what the real world difference is between having
700 feet of hardline on the ground between two verticals spaced 193 degrees
apart with the relays in the center of the array versus having it all coming to
the shack which is not in the center of the array?

Thanks...Stan, K5GO