Topband: Classic Inverted "L" Vs. Extended "L"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Classic Inverted "L" Vs. Extended "L"
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:09:52 -0500
Good Day All,

I wonder if the antenna ghurus reading this --- who are doubly blessed with a
proficiency in antenna modelling programmes --- have ever done any side-by-side
comparisons in the matter of the low angle radiation from a "classic" 1/4-wave
inverted "L", versus a W1BB-like 170' extended inverted "L"...?

Assume, for example, a "common" ground between the two antennas, and a "common"
vertical height of 65'. Which version would be the better DX antenna, in terms
of maximizing RF at low angles...? Does the extended "L" more readily warm the
clouds, for the convenience of easy matching at the base...?

My system of "L's" here is of the 170' variety, & I'm wondering if it might
have been better had I stuck with the "classic" 1/4-wavelength for each
radiator...

Any & all comments solicited & welcomed, with thanks in advance...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ