[TowerTalk] Capacitor to Tune 160M Vertical

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Capacitor to Tune 160M Vertical
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:31:32 -0800
Crew,

I'm thinking of following N6LF's advice on a rebuild of my 160
vertical by tuning it low and adding series capacitance to tune out
the resistance to match it to 50 ohms. I also hope to make it a bit
longer. Legal power will put about 220VAC across 2.2 nF, at a
little less than 6A. I think my greatest concern is dissipation
from the ESR of the cap. Once I get this working, I'll probably do
something similar for 80M.

My question is about what capacitors will work. I'm looking for
about 2.2 nF (2,200 pF), and I'll run legal power with the fairly
high duty cycle of a contest. I've got a selection of 3kV and 6kV
caps in the 100-500 pF range, and 400VDC caps in the 10-100 nF
range. I could series the LV caps or parallel the HV caps. Should I
be looking at others? Does anyone have experience or an educated
guess about which capacitor types are likely to work?

73,

Jim K9YC