Re: Topband: Peru report....and how to make fireworkswithan inverted L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Peru report....and how to make fireworkswithan inverted L
From: "sebdesn" <sebdesn@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:33:15 -0700
Back in the early 70's we used to have a NTS net on 160. Joe Fair
WA0PXF (SK) was on and I think I was NCS. Joe came on and said that
the neighbors just came over, and said that his antenna  was on fire,
and they could hear him talking from where the fire was.

 He had just fired up a BC610 (I think that's what it was) running a
KW on AM.  He was really rattled, so I drove over to his house to see
if I could help.Don't remember the exact antenna configuration, but
there was a huge ball shaped corona,about thirty feet in the air, and
you could hear him talk, when he modulated "the Monster"...Think that
was the last time we heard that thing on the air,on 160, from him.

Kinda off topic , but a funny story I had to share.
73 de  Bud WOHG