Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:31:43 -0500
It certainly isn't impossible (and I'm not sure it is all
that rare) to work a pretty long distance. The Stew rules
actually discourage operation during daylight, so I think
most people who plan operation are QRT during periods of
lower propagation. I'd expect to see much more of it during
a longer operating time contest like the CQWW from multiops.

K6SE Earl (now SK) used to work from California back to Ohio
at noon mid-path  on occasion, not always to exceptionally
large stations. I looked back in my log and worked him in
mid-December at about 1800Z one year from here near Macon
GA. Earl had some curiousity about long distance daytime
coverage on 160, so he arranged a few schedules.

It's very common from here to listen to low power W8's up
around Michigan and Ohio near mid-day, many of whom are low
power without large antennas.

I often listen to the 6's and 7's working DX west of them
just after their sunrise, some with pretty good signals
(like N6RO).

If anyone wants to try a noonish path on 160 over a daylight
path, I can try to get on. I normally have lunch around
1700-1800 Z and don't always go out for lunch.

By the way, my email is fixed after months. Bellsouth was
blocking access to the Internet for most outgoing mail
(because I use a remote mail service), and even stopping
some incoming mail. Now I have to get 160m out of my new DSL
line. If you have Bellsouth, watch them.

73 Tom