Re: Topband: Why not add power class to SP TBDC exchange?

To: "'Richard (Rick) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>,"'Top Band Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Why not add power class to SP TBDC exchange?
From: "Tod -MN" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:38:00 -0600

> 2.  You would get credit for working low power and QRP
> stations who don't send in logs.
>
> I don't see much downside to this other than making the
> exchange slightly longer.

As I understand things one does NOT get QRP credit unless the QRP station
submits a log.

If, as a hypothetical, one were to make an error in copying the power and
entered a "Q" in the log rather than the actual letter sent [ "H" or "L" in
your example], then that contact would be given 'enhanced' value. If the
station did not send in a log that enhanced value would be credited to your
score.

Continuing the 'hypothetical', no TopBand Contester would ever submit the
call of a station they did not actually work so there is no risk of inflated
scores from that source. But, if you made a mistake in copying you might
have a score that is higher than if you had copied error free. That does
seem to reward non-performance which I do not believe anyone feels should be
done.

Leaving the rules as they are will reduce the non-performance effect on
one's score since there will be no score 'enhancement' for flawed copying.

Q.E.D.  Don't change the Stew Perry rules.

Tod, K0TO