Topband: Daylight QSO

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Daylight QSO
From: "John - G3XRJ " <john@g3xrj.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:30:33 -0000

As a Coast Radio Station operator I spent the best part of 30 years
listening to such effects on 2182khz
UK coast stns ran 1kw into vertical antennas while our European friends
sometimes a bit more power and more elaborate antennas.

Summertime midday ranges over a sea path were generally fairly stable at
250 - 300 miles.
Wintertime midday ranges more variable but 300 to 1000 were likely with
noticeable variations in conditions exactly as we experience on
1810-1830khz.

Over land paths ranges were of course reduced - particularly in
summertime, sometimes to less than 200 miles.

John G3XRJ

Incidentally, doing two night shifts a week for most of my working life
the best 2182khz Coast stn 'dx' I remember was 9VG a couple of times.
VIP Perth once, Western Caribbean occasionally. Oh, and received a QSL
card once from ZLW Wellington.
Never ever heard W/Coast USA, JA etc.

Had to come home to do that !

John G3XRJ