Re: Topband: radials under Beverage

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: radials under Beverage
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:39:56 -0800
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:23:23 -0000, Neil Carr G0JHC wrote:

>I would appreciate people's views on running radials from the TX vertical
>under  a RX Beverage.

George,

Let me expand on my earlier comment. The purpose of radials is to reduce
losses in the earth under a vertical. It matters less what directions those
radials run than the quantity of them and their length. If I had the wire to
run 6 more radials, I would run them somewhere, but try to avoid running next
to the Beverage, especially running in parallel with it.

>From my own experience, and from studying the literature, more radials DO
improve the performance and stability of a vertical antenna. My own radial
field (60 radials, varying in length from 50 - 120 ft), is far from
symetrical, but the performance improved each time I added radials, Also, the
performance of the antenna seems completely unrelated to where the radials
are, but strongly related to the topography of the mountains to the north and
east of me.

73,

Jim K9YC