Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: "Ron" <sparkrohan@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:49:06 -0600
from Ron, 4S7RO:

> Any recommendations re adding 80m to an existing 160m inverted L? Would it
> be better to:
>
>  1)  insert a coax trap
>  2)  Tue the antenna at the base (LC network)?

Ron,

It is possible to install a separate 80M 1/4-wave wire at the same feedpoint
to make a "parallel" or "fan" vertical. To make it work properly, the two
wires should be separated by at least 24 to 30 inches (60-75 cm). It also
helps if both are configured as an inverted-L, with the 80M top wire pulled
away in a different direction. With these construction techniques, coupling
between the wires is reduced -- otherwise, you will likely have trouble with
80M matching and bandwidth.

I've done this myself in the past, and for a couple DXpedition antennas. I
think VK6VZ has a similar 2-band setup.

73, Gary
K9AY