Re: Topband: Source for wire?

Subject: Re: Topband: Source for wire?
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:54:21 +0000
Rick Stealey wrote:
>  Agway (farm supply store in NJ) this week had 1/2 mile of #17 aluminum
> electric fence wire for $40, which is  about 1.5 cents/foot.  With tax that
> comes out to $2.06 per quarter wave 160 meter radial.  21 radials per roll of
> wire.
> Hey that's not too bad, $40 for a quite decent radial field.  $80 for a great
> one !!
> By the way they also had a bag of those yellow insulators with a nail
> through
> them used (by me) for attaching the Beverage to trees.  I
> didn't notice the price of them.

I use aluminum fence wire for receiving antennas but don't think I'd use
  it for radial wire.  In the soil in these parts, unjacketed aluminum
wire turns into aluminum oxide powder in just a few years.

I found a local place a few years back which was selling 500' spools of
insulated #12 and #14 copper wire for 5 and 6 bucks.  Needless to say, I
bought 'em all.

Dave K8MN