Re: Topband: Small Receiving antennas

To: Gary@doctorgary.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Small Receiving antennas
From: w2pm@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 20:49:06 -0400
KA1J Writes:

>>I remember seeing the Wellbrook small receiving antenna mentioned
   hear some time ago. http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/

   I have googled it and looked in ON4UN's book and the ARRL Antenna
   handbook but haven't seen anything independent review wise on it nor
  do I hear it mentioned here but that one time (that I recall).

   Anyone used their 1530 or 1010 and had the chance to A>B it with
   other receiving antennae for Top Band & 80M?

   Thanks!

   Gary
   KA1J

W2PM Replies:

Those (Wellbrook) are nicely made but still just magnetic loops.
Nothing special about them. Magnetic loops can be a nice addition to
hear through locallly generated noise IF you can point the null to the
noise but for DX work they don't offer much given the lack of any
directivity (other than the sharp null to the local point source of
noise). And if you have multiple sources of local noise this antenna
will be that much less effective. I think if local noise is that much
of an issue, and you can't erect at least a Pennant, Flag or AY Loop, a
MFJ Nuller would be a better investment than the Wellbrook loop
although you can make a mag loop for very little money.

73

Pete W2PM