Re: Topband: 160 Rrceiving

To: "ken" <barbiekenw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Rrceiving
From: "George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:05:05 -0400
Ken, K5WK wrote:

(Refering to a DX Engineering receiving 4-square)

 Thanks for the responses.  Some off line, not everyone is crazy about it -
as expected.  (I am considering the ARAV-4P version -- I really don't want
> face the effort for a full scale T/R setup since some radials would go
> thru wooded areas.)
...snip...
A beverage would be only about 480 feet long, IMHO too short.

Ken K5WK

OM Ken & fellow Topbanders,

I would not sell a 480 foot Beverage short.  They work.  Especially if
covered with plastic insulation, the velocity factor is close to 10 percent
vs. 5 percent for bare or enamelled wire, so the antenna is about one
wavelength (WL) long on 160 and two WL's on 80.

I have worked some very rare 160 meter DX using single wire one WL beverages
in the 450 - 500 foot range with vinyl insulation.

73 & GL        George    K8GG