Topband: 4 Square

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 4 Square
From: David Cole <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:16:46 +0000 (GMT)
I have been reading with interest all the posts regarding the ways in which to
protect 4 sq against lightening.
I would like to have comments to my simplistic approach to this problem as I am
currently installing a 4 sq.
I place a 5 foot copper earth rod at the base of each vertical - each vertical
is earthed to this rod via a suitable relay  at the base of the vertical - when
I wish to use the 4 sq and apply 12 volts to my 8 way directional relay box I
also apply via the coax feed to each vertical  12 volts which switches the
relay from earthing the vertical  back to the relay box.
Can anyone see any problems with this arrangement - and would there be any
change in the phasing (is so by how much) by feeding the 12 volts along the
feed to each vertical by the introduction of 0.01uf  DC blocking capacitors.

Dave G3RCQ