Re: Topband: Power

To: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:13:33 -1000

> So far all the noise reduction I have heard drops the almost copiable stuff
> as
> noise, giving the operator no clue that the signal is there or clipping
> elements of characters that renders the CW less copiable than without.
>
> The real improvements in 2 way won't come out of my power bill, they'll come
> out of my RX and antenna budget.
>
> 73, Guy.

I sure have to agree with this statement,  so far every radio I have
tried with DSP and or
noise reduction removes the signal in the noise.   Many radios work fine
when the signal
is just above the noise but have found none that work with the signal in
the noise.
I have come to rely on more audio manipulation, such as peaking a
particular tone, or
changing the background noise to a different tone etc.  Also using the
FT-1000D dual
receivers tuned to the same freq with different antennas on each
receiver makes for a
dual diversity setup that can pull signals out of the noise level.  It
takes some practice
and the use of your brain as a filter for noise versus signal.  I am
sure many already
know the benefits of listening at a different tone than used on the high
bands,  low
freq tones are easier for many to hear in noise than high pitch tones
that blend into
the noise or ring with noise crashes.
Not going to say much on high power operating,  all I will say is if you
have ever
been on the other end of the pile up or operated from DX locations,
high power
gets the job done when others calling are at the noise level.  Not that
I approve of excess
power,  but facts are facts.
Molokai Merv