Topband: Glory Days

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Glory Days
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:26:24 +1000
.I can remember very well my first "DX" on Topband in 1979..I was living
in Portland Victoria and had the callsign of VK3BVS.
Living in a town situation and not having a lot of room I managed to fit
in an inverted V with a few short radials..I started off talking to a
few local VK stations using a Yaesu 101E,including Hugh VK5BC...I used
to listen to him working DX and always wondered how he did so well...He
took me under his wing and encouraged me not to give up and keep
trying...I was able to hear the occasional American station and my
appetite grew..Well after a bit of time passed I worked my first DX
station...That was Bert ZL4IG now SK..That was a big thrill to me as it
was my first station outside VK...I started to work Bert regularly after
that and those who knew him will remember him as one of life's really
genuine gentlemen...

Eventually I was able to work my first US station...That was Bill W0ZV
..That was the pinnacle for me and I can still remember myself shaking
after that contact and knew that at last I had made the grade..

Well the rest of the story is water under the bridge now, but every time
I work a new DX station and he tells me I am his first DX contact on
Topband I know exactly he feels....It is an infectious disease with no
known antidote and once the bug gets you you will have it for life..

Good Topband  Dxing and 73......Bob VK3ZL..