Re: Topband: The glory days of 160

To: RK <midnight18@cox.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The glory days of 160
From: Juhan Põldvere <juhan@chem.ut.ee>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:37:26 +0000
Hi Bob,

I don't know what the "Old Wind Mill" was. The UK2RDX of the 80ies was
in Viimsi, a suburb of Tallinn,
Estonia. UK were Soviet club stations, 2 were the Baltic  states &
Kaliningrad. Ukrainian clubs were UK5.

 From Mart ES2NJ (then UR2NJ):
There really was a QSO with W7RM and the operator was Tom 2RJ [now SK].
The antenna was an INV-V,
feedpoint 40m [130'] high on a [central heating] chimney.
The XCVR was a homebrew (2NJ) monobander (20W) that drove a 200W tube,
followed by  a "horned pair"
- 2X GU80.

The Beverages were about 200m [650'] long. Worked well on 80 but were a
bit short for 160, the efficiency was not up to the task.
ES2NA and ES2QH may have some pictures.
======
The GU80 (GU81) are Russian glass pentodes of the 50ies which had the
plate and g3 as 2 horns atop. A tad under 1' high, 2" dia. Graphite
plate, 450W dissipation (600W max 3 minutes), 10.5A  12.6V heater. Very
rugged. I guess the power (2 tubes) was about 1.5kW.
2xGU80 were used to drive a pair of GU5B  but  I  doubt  any of these
were used from Estonia (UR2, UK2R..,
UK2T..).

>In the 80's W7RM was the Multi-multi station to operate in the NW in ARRL DX
>or CQWW DX. Many fine operators, W7WA, K7WA, VE7CC, VE7SV, W7EJ, W7XR, N7ZZ,
>K7JA, KB7G (VR2BG) and myself worked on and operated there. In one particular
>CQ 160 I worked UK2RDX for a new country and first E. Europe station on
>top-band. Rush Drake came down the stairs in his stocking hat wondering why
>the old TL-250s were thumping the power supply... Rush had the card in one
>week! A few years later Charlie (K7NW) and Jean Shaffer of Seattle traveled
>to the Ukraine and Soviet Union. They paid a visit to the "Old Wind Mill"
>club station. The brought back a photo copy of the station 20 Watt operating
>license and a photo of the old Russian 20 KW PA! No wonder they were so loud!

Yes, I remember W7RM and W2PV were te two.
73!
--
Juhan ES5QX, one of ES5Q/ES6Q/ES2Q/ES0Q/ES4Q...