Topband: Memories of Top Band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Memories of Top Band
From: Robert Kavanagh <ve3osz@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:32:28 -0400
After reading the interesting recollections of the early days on 160
I was provoked to browse through my early log books for topband.

After having my first QSO (on 80) in April 1951 I finally got my
first 160 QSO in November 1951 with W1TTV. At that time I was VE1YW
in Fredericton, New Brunswick, and was a student living in a
university residence. My first 160 DX came on January 11, 1953 when I
hit the jackpot with 3 DX QSOs: G5RI, EI9J and G3PU. These were
worked with 20 watts from my crystal-controlled home brew rig with an
807 in the final. The antenna was a random length of wire strung
across the university campus. My receiver was a Canadian Marconi
SMR3A marine receiver. The QSO with EI9J was the first EI/VE topband
QSO. I expect others will remember Paddy, EI9J, who was a regular on
160 for many years. Another 160 regular in those days was Charlie, W2EQS.

After time out for graduate studies, marriage, children, etc. I
returned to 160 in 1973 as VE1AXT. Some of the notables worked at
that time included Rolf, PY1RO, Bill, K2GNC, and our present-day keen
operator: VE3CUI, Eddy. I was his third QSO on 160.

And, of course, W1BB was worked on several occasions. He was always
very encouraging and I still have his QSL and a collection of his
newsletters, each one inscribed with a personal note.

Those were my "good old days".  Now I plug away as VE3OSZ and the
band has certainly changed !

Bob
VE3OSZ