Re: Topband: Wire for beverage...

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wire for beverage...
From: Philip Leonard WVØT <leolists@seidkr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:40:03 +0000
Philip Leonard WVØT wrote:
> I have quite a bit of small guage (#24 or so) stranded copper wire.  I'm
> wondering if this will work for a beverage antenna.  Does the size of
> the wire matter all that much?  Will galvanized steel electric fence
> wire work (very strong and relatively inexpensive compared to copper).

I've received quite a number of off-reflector responses to my query.
Thank you to all who responded.  The general consensus is the #24
doesn't have the strength but would make good radial wire.  Never though
of that.  I've always used #14 for radials.  It appears I have a bunch
of radial wire now.  Most responses indicated that the electric fence
wire will work OK.  I have several hundred feet of that so I will give
it a try.

Philip