Topband: 160m SSB DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m SSB DX
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:28:06 -0400
GA everyone.....First of all, I wanted to thank the many, many people who
responded, both on and off line.  I have received several dozen warm and
very useful e-mails with some super support and encouragement.  I also need
to apologize to the moderator(s) of the group.  It turns out I have been
"top-posting" which is a no-no.  I thought I knew what that meant, and
thought I had corrected that, but I guess I have a lot more to learn.  No
intentional mischief on my part I can assure you.

I will certainly give 160m a try this season.  I don't know exactly what
kind of antenna I will be able to put up....I was thinking maybe a low full
size dipole for starters at ~60'.  I do have access to a large 40 acre corn
field to my west and have threatened for years to put up (actually lay down)
a beverage due West, maybe 500'-600'.  I know it will be SSB at first but no
doubt, I will be venturing down lower in frequency to see what I may copy.
FYI, my most memorable days were actually on CW as a novice, but it has been
30 some years since I have done that and really tried to do any serious CW.
I know it is a shame, I need to work on that.

Again, a very big thank you to everyone for the sound advice, observations,
and sincere encouragement !
I look forward to seeing you all on top band !

73, W8BYA Gedas
http://gedas.cc
http://www.w8bya.com