Re: Topband: Vertical Antenna Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical Antenna Question
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
Rick's suggestion of using a 160M "T" as a voltage fed antenna on 80M worked
great for me at S9SS.   In fact, one night the DX Summit spots were debating
whether I were real or a pirate because my 80M CW signal was so strong in the
US.  By the way, some folks call that configuration an "inverted ground
plane."

I used an old DPDT relay from an AM band ATU to switch remotely between two
tuning networks, one for 160 and one for 80, located in a box out at the feed
point in the field.  There are probably better ways to do it, but I just used a
resonant parallel RC circuit to get the large impedance transformation I needed
for 80M.  I tapped the feed from the coax across a few turns at the cold end of
the coil.  I could move between the CW band and the phone band on 80M by
walking out there and making a just a small change in the (marked) capacitor
setting.

73,
Charles Lewis - KY4P

ex A22AA, S92SS, SV0LM, S9SS