Re: [RFI] Computer RFI on 160

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer RFI on 160
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:14:35 -0700
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:40:52 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:

>On-site I tried about 8 turns of the
>power cord through a Mix 31 2.4" toroid, but that didn't dent the
>noise enough.

I wouldn't expect it to. You need at least 14 turns on a single #
31, and more turns or more toroids in the stack is better. Use my
measured data for RG8X on these cores as a starting point. In
essence, you've got to move the low Q resonance of the ferrite
choke down to 2 MHz. 8 turns on a single #31 puts the resonance in
the 5-7 MHz range.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

It's good to hear that the Corcom filter worked for you. A surplus
warehouse in the Bay Area has a bunch of filters like you
describe, and they have an internet presence. I've seen Corcom,
Delta, and several other brands there at good prices.

http://www.halted.com/

There's also good data for Corcom and Delta on the internet.
Google on part numbers to find it.

73,

Jim K9YC