Re: Topband: Beverage antenna ground

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antenna ground
From: "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:51:18 -0400
On Thursday 30 October 2008 1:34:46 pm Ed Swiderski, KU4BP wrote:
> What I would like to know is what has seemed to work best
> for you?

I have found that here in Ohio nothing works better than a 2 foot
long aluminum rod (ground stakes from surplus antenna mast kits).
That is, I've used longer ground rods, but I can't tell that they
make longish Beverages work any better.

My experience is confined to Ohio, and the relatively good ground
around here.  Also, I don't think I've ever had to depend on a
Beverage shorter than 400 feet on 160.

Note that my current crop of Beverages all use 5 foot pieces of
1 inch copper water pipe.  On a couple of these antennas, I've tried
more elaborate ground systems without seeing any improvement.

In the past, I've also used small radial system, like 32 25 foot
radials.  These have also worked just fine.

Good luck!

Victor, K1LT