Topband: small diaameter radials - issues?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: small diaameter radials - issues?
From: "Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:18:20 -0000
Interest in experiences from those of you who run good amounts of radials on
LF and in particular quite thin wire.
I have erected a 66ft 80m vertical but currently have very few radials down
fanned out from its base. The problem is the vertical is positioned within
the 160m radial system, so any attempt to dig in good quality 2-3mm copper
radials results in digging up and cutting through the 160m radials which are
40-100m long, and invisible until you cut them or drag them up with the
tractor..there are over 100. The 80m radial system needs to run at right
angles though the field of 160m radials.

I've recently acquired a large drum of 1.25mm enamelled copper wire, which
has a few 1000 meters on it.

I could run these out and  only have to press them down a few mm, (I'm not
on rock but soft muddy clay ground, water logged most of the year) how does
thin enamelled copper wire hold up compared with what I'm used to using now
(2.5-3mm electrical house wire 100m rolls at a time etc).

The picture shows the  1.5mm bobbin and to the left what I usually use which
remains in tact years later.

http://tinylink.com/?MwgoibdC6l

So my 1st question is a mechanical one, does thin rolls of enamelled copper
last?

My 2nd question relates to thin v thick wire diameter radials v performance.

Is there any difference in performance if you laid 100 1.5mm radials
compared with 100 3mm radials?

Are there any articles out there to read on that subject?

Thanks

Neil G0JHC