Re: Topband: Not so Boring QSO

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Not so Boring QSO
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:25:14 +0200
Tree wrote:
>I also heard ZS1REC around 03:35 UTC (his sunrise) who was AS LOUD AS W0FLS
>was when he worked Dave.  Raoul was looking for the HC on the band, so we
>didn't actually make a QSO.  I am hoping that the C9 puts up a beverage and
>shows up at his sunrise with a signal like that.

I am sometimes not so happy about this good signal to NA, as I may be called
a crocodile! I have reduced my power, in fact, for some time now, to match
my rx.  Normally, the strong stations will make it through my suburban
neighborhood noise and not the smaller ones that would also hear me at SR.
The spotlight effect is well and alive in my part of the world.
I have heard stations calling ZS1JX that he could not hear and he worked
stations that I could not hear, and we are about 70km apart.
That is why I love 160m! What a band.
73, good Topband dx

Raoul Coetzee

Technical Manager