Re: Topband: RFI buzz update

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI buzz update
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:36:22 -0900
On Nov 23, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Jon Zaimes AA1K wrote:

> Recently I posted a note about a buzz noise that had been plaguing
> me on
> 160. This buzz was on for 55 seconds and then off for 55 seconds,
> at S9
> levels.

Had a similar thing. Was a sodium light with a bad bulb (they're
orange in color:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_vapor_lamp) on a
nearby commercial business 200' away. The igniter unit would fire up
the bulb, it would burn for about a minute, then go dim. It finally
quit. I could see the action from the house. New bulb and it was fixed.

Many street lights use the technology in Alaska, as they work well in
cold wx. I have two within 2000' that cycle off and on. Tomorrow I
call the responsible agencies with the pole numbers, and tell them
the bulbs are making a weird arcing noise, and light intersections
critical to pedestrians, which is true. The NB on the MK-V won't mask
the combination of the two sources. Had to use 250Hz filters and the
60 Hz APF to hear 5K0T in the noise floor on the receiving loop
because of the QRN and QSB.

Noise sometimes sleeps during daylight, like Vampires.

73 Gary NL7Y