Re: Topband: Lesson Learned

To: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lesson Learned
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:08:10 -1000
> There's something, nay, a lot! to keeping the vertical downleads as
> short as possible or even eliminating them.

Hi Art,

     I understand that the reason you want the downlead short is to
prevent that small vertical section from acting as a vertical antenna
with an omni-directional pattern. Of course you would like the Beverage
pattern only, without that omni-directional pattern added to it. What I
don't understand is how you can achieve that goal. If you have the
Beverage feed transformer and the feed coax connected up at the height
of the horizontal Beverage wire, you still have a short vertical wire
running down to the ground system, and that wire will also pick up
signals. How can you avoid this? An above ground level counterpoise at
each end of the Beverage?

DE N6KB